[Catalyst] creating a model

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Fri Dec 22 22:56:31 GMT 2006

On Friday 22 December 2006 19:32, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> If the latest version of Catalyst is not working under Windows

Leave the flamebait for slashdot, please.  Lots of people go out of their way
to help you on this list, so criticizing them isn't a very nice (or
constructive) thing to do.

Remember that Catalyst, like any other open source project, is a
volunteer-only project primarily designed to help solve the AUTHORS'
problems.  It will only improve to solve YOUR problems when you send the
project code that does so :)

We're not purposely crippling Windows, but not many people here use it so it's
always in need of testing and fixing.  Please contribute what you can.

Finally, if you're already ssh'd into a Linux box, why do you need to run
Catalyst on Windows anyway?  At work, I do all my development on a Windows
machine (wouldn't want the programmers to be productive or anything)... but
the actual files are on a Linux server that I'm ssh'd to.  I open the files
in emacs via sftpdrive, edit them, and then run the app via the SSH window.
Basically, I use Windows as a $300 dumb terminal.  (A slow and virus-prone
dumb terminal.)

> I can say that this framework is not very portable.

Redhat, SuSE, Debian, Ubuntu, NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Darwin, OS X, etc. all
seem to run it fine.  Maybe Windows is just broken?  Maybe Windows users
aren't doing their part to help?

> I know that I could find workarounds, but I said what I said for showing
> some reasons why perl is less and less used.

Perl is like coffee.  It's not very exciting to talk about, but I bet you're
having a cup right now :)

Regards,
--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,