[Catalyst] Catalyst on Windows

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Wed Dec 27 09:03:13 GMT 2006

Karl.Moens at marsh.com ha scritto:

> Recently there have been a number of messages relating to the difficulties
> of installing Catalyst on Windows.
>
> Although installing Perl-modules on Windows-machines is always a bit
> difficult, I find that Catalyst and its related modules are not more
> difficult to install than the average other module.
>
> A recent version of ActiveState Perl, the "mingw" package/environment, a
> well configured CPAN and CPANPLUS and finally PPM (with such extra
> repositories such as the one provided by Randy Kobes) makes installing
> modules (and Catalyst) an almost painless effort. I'm not saying
> *everything* works but until now I did not encounter a real show-stopper.
>
> YMMV of course, but before blaming Catalyst, perhaps it can do no harm if
> you first check your own set-up and see if you can install other modules
> without trouble.
>
> "Hats off" to the Catalyst developers who truly succeeded in bringing us
> this wonderful framework!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Karl Moens
> aka CountZero on Perlmonks.org

I totally agree.

I would like to add that I have developed Catalyst apps on Linux and
deployed them on Windows (and vice-versa) with no trouble.

By "no-trouble" I mean that Catalyst itself can figure out where it's
running and takes care of the low-level details, *without the user
having to change a single line of code*.

There are of course CPAN modules that are troublesome to install from
source (because generally speaking compiling from source is not as easy
on Windows as it is on Linux), but those are rare exceptions. One can
often get through by adding one or two major non-activestate ppm repos
providing those packages.

> This message and any attachments are confidential. If you have received
> this message in error please delete it from your system. If you require any
> assistance please notify the sender. Thank You.

Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT
Ottotecnica s.r.l.
http://www.ottotecnica.com