[Catalyst] What to use ? HTML::Widget ? Data::FormValidator ? etc...

Ash Berlin ash at cpan.org
Thu Dec 28 12:40:19 GMT 2006

Alexandre Jousset wrote:
>     Hello dear list,
>
>     I'm currently in the early stage of writing a Catalyst application
> (in fact redesigning a non-Catalyst one) and I'm wondering what plugins
> to use.
>
>     I've already written Catalyst applications successfully but for this
> one I've decided those constraints :
>
>     - Use TT as view
>     - Use a form validator
>     - Not necessarily use a widget creation plugin
>     - I18n
>     - Reuse the most possible code / templates and be very modular
>
>     In fact I have some precise questions, but advices are welcome:
>
>     1) I've searched the HTML::Widget docs and ML archives to look for
> i18n stuff but found nothing :-( I subscribed to the ML but before
> asking them the question, can you tell me if HTML::Widget is the Right
> Plugin (new TM) for my application?

If its possible to localize strings in a controller: $c->loc('foo') then
you can localize labels/constraints etc.

>     2) Doesn't HTML::Widget break the MVC model by putting part of the
> view creation in the code?

Yes, basically. (Saying that i still use it cos I only use it in a few
places and its not annoyed me enough to replace it)

>     3) If HTML::Widget is not the Right Plugin to use, what other plugin
> should I use?

You should also look at Data::FormValidator (i think thats the name) and
Catalyst::Controller::FormBuilder (its a base class for you controllers,
not a plugin)

>     4) And, more generally, what is the best practice to use i18n with
> the constraints above? What could you counsel me?

Pass - I've not had to do any L10n yet

>     I understand that some questions could seem OT but this is really a
> Catalyst design problem.
>
>     Thanks!

Ash