[Catalyst] Is it normal to have lots of trouble installing catalyst?

Scott Karns scottkinsf at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 21:11:43 CET 2006

Well, I'm a confirmed distro package manager adherent
-- Mandriva's urpmi is my tool of choice. When I began
exploring Catalyst, I was lucky enough to find that
someone had already packaged a relatively recent
version of Catalyst so I started with that, updated it
to what was then the most recent release (5.61 I
think) and just kept downloading from CPAN and
building my own packages for all the required modules
for which no pre-built packages existed. Looking in my
RPM directory, it looks like that came to
approximately 30 packages I had to create, build and
install. urpmi took care of any other dependencies for
which packages already existed. It took the better
part of two days, but now I'm all set.

I haven't yet attempted installing on another system,
that's probably a worthwhile exercise at this point.

-Scott