[Catalyst] Is it normal to have lots of trouble installing catalyst?

Bernard FRIT bernard.frit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:57:58 CET 2006

2006/2/8, Jesper Krogh <jesper at krogh.cc>:

> I have quite alot Ubuntu packages generated (dh-make-perl). If anyone is
> willing to host them and/or tutor me to fix eventual problems in them,
> then I'd be happy to share. (some for i386 most for amd64)
>
> The Catalyst installation I'm using has been installed by generating
> debian packages of everything and installing that way. Worked flawless
> but took some time. (had to traverse dependencies by hand).

I was unable to install Catalyst on an Ubuntu laptop, first because
Unbuntu's perl was threaded perl and didn't work for some of the
packages I use (Ima::DBI I think) and then because of the
inconsistency of cpan's depencies.

Now, I use to rsync the whole /usr/lib/perl5 branch between my
development server and any machine I want to install Catalyst on. I
just have to be sure that the same perl version is used. To be sure I
am currently compiling a perl 5.8.7 from CPAN on any new machine, just
setting up the same configuration.

I know that's a bit rough, but it works and it's fast. I couldn't
handle anymore spending hours to resolve dependencies issues from
cpan.

Hope that helps (hhmmm use at your own risks... ;-)
--
Bernard FRIT