[Catalyst] Is it normal to have lots of trouble installing catalyst?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Feb 8 14:17:28 CET 2006

FWIW: We build a separate tree for our application and load perl and
modules there.  That said, I had somewhat of a difficult time with
Catalyst at first due to dependency issues.  Module::Build was/is a
problem.  The CPAN Task::Catalyst install didn't work when I tried it,
but this wasn't a Catalyst issue as much as it was a Module::Build
bugginess.  The problem is that bugs early in the dependency chain have
a cascading and decidedly negative affect upon installers.

What we did to get it working is hand trace all the dependencies that
failed, and integrate that into our build system (one large make file
for Modules).  We cannot use CPAN/CPANPLUS due to (often) lack of
network access to the outside world where we install.  That is not an
option for dependency resolution for us.

With all the modules in the makefile, in approximately the right order,
a quick "make" builds them all (takes some time) and installs them.

Unfortunately this is fairly static, so we are still using 5.61.  I am
hoping that the dependency chain doesn't keep exploding, as it makes
this job harder and harder.  We could snapshot the CPAN tree (3GB!!!)
and install locally, configuring the site to pull from there.  We have
done this in a few cases, but it is still somewhat of a problem.  Our
entire build environment with all tarballs takes less than 50 M.  I have
trouble requiring 60x this size just for an install.

Just my thoughts.

I want to invert this a little though.

After using Catalyst, the pain of dealing with the dependency radius
was, in our opinion, worth it.

We came from a pure HTML::Mason to Catalyst and Mason, and it has made a
significant difference in our coding and application quality (IMO), as
well as significantly accelerated what we could do.  It is enabling us
to consider things that were much harder before hand.  Mason is very
good, one of the best at doing what it does.  It was hard for me to
integrate the logic into the presentation like that and have anything
like a reasonable application flow.  I find it much easier in catalyst.

Joe