[Catalyst] DBIC vs CDBI

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Wed Feb 8 15:33:44 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:25:38 -0500, catalyst at isidore.net wrote:
> So somewhere in the past few weeks while debugging a CDBI problem
> I vaguely remember seeing it mentioned that CDBI was obsolete in
> favor of DBIC. However, the CDBI wiki doesn't say anything of the
> sort, nor the CDBI perldocs.

Not really, we just tend to prefer it over at Catalyst land due to
it being more modern, and that the author doesn't want to kill sri.

Class::DBI is still being developed.

> My first few attempts at trying to use DBIC have been less than
> satisfactory. Generated classes don't automatically setup
> relationships, there's no obvious ->retrieve function, and it just
> seems less friendly overall. So what's the official call about
> CDBI vs DBIC? Is CDBI really obsolete, and is DBIC really as hard
> to get working for a beginner as it appears coming from CDBI
> (Compat aside)?

DBIC shouldn't be hard but since it's very new it's documentation is
slightly lacking. Please come to #dbix-class on IRC if you need
specific help that you can't find in the docs.

 /\  kung foo master: /me beats up some cheese: neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!