[Catalyst] problems installing

Nathan Kurz nate at verse.com
Wed Feb 8 20:09:35 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:48:58PM +0100, Sebastian Riedel wrote:

> 08.02.2006 19:25 Christopher H. Laco:
>
> >O.M.G. The thread that won't die. :-)

Yes, it's funny the way that installation problems will continue to
produce one thread per new user until the new users stop coming.

> >Nathan, if you just want to tinker around, give this is try:
> >http://handelframework.com/downloads/CatInABox.tar.gz

I do not wish to just tinker around.  I'd like to install Catalyst so
that I can put up a small live site for light duty use.  I found
CatInABox via the list archives, but I had presumed it was only
suitable for does-it-even-run type testing from local directory, and
presumed it did not provide an upgrade path to Sessions, State, Email,
and the like.  Is it in fact the right choice for a real site?

> >(I feel like a broken record on that today. Maybe I need to put a link
> >in the wiki for CatInABox)...
>
> We should really put a big fat "Download" button on the frontpage
> (with a box icon)!

Is this to imply that the CPAN installation method is deprecated?  If
so, I would suggest that yes, instructions to avoid it and use the
preferred alternative would be useful, even to the point of including
a link to the preferred method of install from the documentation.

---

I now have what Catalyst installation that passes the CPAN tests for
"test Catalyst" and "test Task::Catalyst".  The one additional step
that was necessary beyond those in my previous message was a call to
"install Module::Find", as a dependency of DBIx::Class::Schema.

---

Any thoughts on the suggestions I made for changes to the dependencies
so that a CPAN install would work?

1) Make sure that Task::Catalyst is signed properly.
2) Set overall upfront Perl version requirements to 5.8.6
   (or drop whatever is causing that dependency)
3) Add Params::Validate to dependencies for Catalyst::Log:Log4Perl
4) Add Date::Calc to dependencies for Catalyst::Plugin::HTML::Widget,
   even though it probably isn't our fault.
5) Maybe make whatever is using RPC::XML non-default until RPC::XML
   can pass its tests?  Or maybe this is a Perl version error too.

I'm not trying to be as aggressive as I may sound, but I'm confused by
the dismissive attitude towards solveable installation problems.

Nathan Kurz
nate at verse.com