[Catalyst] problems installing

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Wed Feb 8 20:42:45 CET 2006

Nathan Kurz wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:48:58PM +0100, Sebastian Riedel wrote:
>> 08.02.2006 19:25 Christopher H. Laco:
>>
>>> O.M.G. The thread that won't die. :-)
>
> Yes, it's funny the way that installation problems will continue to
> produce one thread per new user until the new users stop coming.

I was more joking about the timing of it really.

>>> Nathan, if you just want to tinker around, give this is try:
>>> http://handelframework.com/downloads/CatInABox.tar.gz
>
> I do not wish to just tinker around.  I'd like to install Catalyst so
> that I can put up a small live site for light duty use.  I found
> CatInABox via the list archives, but I had presumed it was only
> suitable for does-it-even-run type testing from local directory, and
> presumed it did not provide an upgrade path to Sessions, State, Email,
> and the like.  Is it in fact the right choice for a real site?

A downloaded directory of perl modules is no different than modules in
anty or lib or site_lib directory....or for a MyApp directory of
modules. What CatInABox doesn't include are things that need to be
compiled on different platforms, but if you complile sessions, and
install it onto your machine, catinabox will use it.

I have CatInABox on my shiny new 1Gb thumbdrive. Under windows I
installed compiled versions of sessions and auth into my local install
and did the same on my ubuntu lappy. Everything just works.

Granted, CatInABox was geared toward someone who "just read an article
and wanted to try it without all of the installation mess"...but one the
files are on your machine and you tweak @INC, anything goes.