[Catalyst] problems installing

Nathan Kurz nate at verse.com
Wed Feb 8 22:22:01 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 02:42:45PM -0500, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> A downloaded directory of perl modules is no different than modules in
> anty or lib or site_lib directory....or for a MyApp directory of
> modules. What CatInABox doesn't include are things that need to be
> compiled on different platforms, but if you complile sessions, and
> install it onto your machine, catinabox will use it.

Thanks!  My guess was that it would be difficult to upgrade the
CatInABox to add modules, because I presumed that those modules I was
adding would list the CatInABox modules as dependencies, and when they
weren't found in the standard location it would cause the standard
CPAN installation to fail.  Perhaps I should explore that further.

> I have CatInABox on my shiny new 1Gb thumbdrive. Under windows I
> installed compiled versions of sessions and auth into my local install
> and did the same on my ubuntu lappy. Everything just works.

Another appoarch might be to create a Base CPAN bundle that would
install only those same items as in CatInABox.  That would provide for
more seamless upgrade if the user decided they wanted to continue
using the full Catalyst install.  A smaller set would be much easier
to create and maintain CPAN dependencies for.

That said, I do have it working.  While the install isn't perfect, it
is possible.  When I do a second install on my remote server, I'll try
to provide a more explicit Howto for the CPAN install.

--nate