[Catalyst] Engine::AJP or Engine::WARP

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at tendentious.org
Thu Feb 9 15:29:34 CET 2006

Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:23:00PM -0500, Andrew Libby wrote:
>> How mature is the apache module side of this?  This looks very
>> interesting.  I'm attracted to the idea of not having perl run
>> within Apache.
>
> FastCGI already works beautifully. What advantages does SCGI have
> over this?

To answer both of you at once:

Anndrew: I don't know that there *is* an apache module to do SCGI---I
was looking at lighttpd when I was working on it.

Matt: Well, I was looking at this at a time when I was getting awfully
pissed off because FastCGI *wasn't* working beautifully. :)

I need to run my catalyst app as a specific user, and I find Apache's
suexec stuff to be an awfully big PITA, so I was attempting to use the
process manager from postfix (as weird as it may sound, it makes sense
in the context of my application, which is doing mail filtering and is
running a lot of other stuff there) to manage my fastcgi processes.

This simply didn't work for reasons that weren't clear to me, while
SCGI was working fine except for the issue of post arguments, which
was obviously a deficiency in my Engine::SCGI code.

I may get back to it eventually, but for the moment I'm just coping
with the annoynances of Apache's SuEXEC.

Mike