[Catalyst] Here's my shot at an app to install Catalyst Dependencies

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Thu Feb 9 15:52:26 CET 2006

* Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2006-02-09 15:00]:
>Very cool. Should be possible to do
>
>use CPAN;
>
>CPAN->install("module");
>
>so you can turn it into a single perl script.

And then also supply tarballs of everything and do some
Cwd+File::Spec magic to change `$CPAN::Config->{urllist}` to an
appropriate location. Put these tarballs all together in a
tarball which goes into the `__DATA__` section in the installer
script. Make sure it can take an `--install-base` option and
twiddle `$CPAN::Config` accordingly and you’re golden.

And do all this by writing a meta script that generates such a
selfcontained installer by taking a list of modules and using the
CPAN.pm API to fetch the respective tarballs. If you want, throw
some CPAN::Unwind and Module::Corelist magic into this meta
script to make it easier to create the list in the first place.

The result would be a one-stop shop self-extracting installer:
people download `catalyst-setup.pl` and run it, and it unwraps
itself and uses the CPAN shell to install everything from its
belly into the Perl installation in the right order and without
hitting the network.

And the meta script would make it relatively painless to keep the
SFX up-to-date.

Sounds very doable to me; and it would be *extremely* useful for
creating shrink-wrap web applications for end users. I’d get
right on the meta script if I had the tuits right now.

Regards,