[Catalyst] Here's my shot at an app to install Catalyst Dependencies

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 16:53:07 CET 2006

All these suggestions are great.  I think my next step
is to create a better version of this installer that
is just a single perl script that can also handle
downloading and installing a few of the binary
requirements, such as the stuff for the XML modules.
It would be best if this script ran some tests to make
sure everything go installed properly.

After that I can think about creating the auto build
system that has been envisioned. In the end if I am
going to keep this up to date with the pace of
catalyst development I will certainly need it :)

The way I am doing this now is that I have Unbuntu
running in a VMWARE instance.  So I can test the
script against a custom compiled perl installation and
then blow away the perl directory and rebuild it with
'make install' from my downloaded perl source
directory.  Right now this is manual for me, but it's
not so many steps.  I can let it crank away while I am
doing other things.

The next two days I need to focus on my paying
project, and try to look at this again over the
weekend.  If anyone get's a change to play with it
please let me know your results.

There were a few bugs in the version I posted earlier
today, attached is a better version (but still just a
bash script)

--john