[Catalyst] Here's my shot at an app to install Catalyst Dependencies

Nathan Kurz nate at verse.com
Thu Feb 9 18:30:12 CET 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:28:26PM +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:16:46AM -0700, Nathan Kurz wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:17:13AM -0800, John Napiorkowski wrote:
> > > I know this shell script is a brain dead way to do this, so I am
> > > looking for suggestions on how to improve it.
> >
> > 1) You could make your shell script into a Perl bundle.  Bundles are
> >    special Perl modules that do nothing other than load other
> >    modules.  Check 'perldoc CPAN' check the section 'Bundles'.
>
> That would be a really dumb idea; Bundles are evil and handled specially
> by CPAN.pm - the Task::* stuff is an effort at finally getting rid of
> them, hence Task::Catalyst replacing Bundle::Catalyst.

Sorry, I don't know the history of this project and did not realize
that Bundle::Catalyst existed and was replaced.  I would suggest,
though, that a CPAN installable Bundle would be better than a shell
script, and that a working Bundle would be better than a broken Task.
But I'd agree a working Task::Catalyst would be a better end solution.

> > 2) You could create a modified Makefile.PL or META.yml for
> >    Task::Catalyst that declares these things as prerequisites.  That
> >    way they'll be loaded automatically by CPAN.
>
> Module::Install has a facility for auto-bundling dependencies.

The problem, though, is that the sub-dependencies are not properly
listed in the dependencies?  If they were, the CPAN install would
work.  Some of these dependencies are under the control of Catalyst
(Params::Validate not listed in Catalyst::Log:Log4Perl) and others are
not (Date::Calc for Catalyst::Plugin::HTML::Widget).  All that is
needed is to add these the prerequisites (and the others) to
Task::Catalyst in the correct order, and CPAN install will just work.

--nate

ps.  Why are Bundles evil?