[Catalyst] Here's my shot at an app to install Catalyst Dependencies

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Feb 9 19:29:39 CET 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:30:12AM -0700, Nathan Kurz wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:28:26PM +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> > That would be a really dumb idea; Bundles are evil and handled specially
> > by CPAN.pm - the Task::* stuff is an effort at finally getting rid of
> > them, hence Task::Catalyst replacing Bundle::Catalyst.
>
> Sorry, I don't know the history of this project and did not realize
> that Bundle::Catalyst existed and was replaced.  I would suggest,
> though, that a CPAN installable Bundle would be better than a shell
> script, and that a working Bundle would be better than a broken Task.
> But I'd agree a working Task::Catalyst would be a better end solution.

Precisely :)

> > Module::Install has a facility for auto-bundling dependencies.
>
> The problem, though, is that the sub-dependencies are not properly
> listed in the dependencies?  If they were, the CPAN install would
> work.  Some of these dependencies are under the control of Catalyst
> (Params::Validate not listed in Catalyst::Log:Log4Perl) and others are
> not (Date::Calc for Catalyst::Plugin::HTML::Widget).  All that is
> needed is to add these the prerequisites (and the others) to
> Task::Catalyst in the correct order, and CPAN install will just work.

I was suggesting the auto-bundling as a possible "as well", not an instead.

Also, I don't think the problem is the subdeps not being included, the
problem is the M::I AutoInstall process not quite managing to follow them
right. That's certainly what I remember seeing.

http://search.cpan.org/~adamk/Task-1.01/lib/Task.pm