[Catalyst] Here's my shot at an app to install Catalyst Dependencies

Nathan Kurz nate at verse.com
Thu Feb 9 20:33:06 CET 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 06:29:39PM +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:30:12AM -0700, Nathan Kurz wrote:
> > The problem, though, is that the sub-dependencies are not properly
> > listed in the dependencies?  If they were, the CPAN install would
> > work.  Some of these dependencies are under the control of Catalyst
> > (Params::Validate not listed in Catalyst::Log:Log4Perl) and others are
> > not (Date::Calc for Catalyst::Plugin::HTML::Widget).  All that is
> > needed is to add these the prerequisites (and the others) to
> > Task::Catalyst in the correct order, and CPAN install will just work.
>
> Also, I don't think the problem is the subdeps not being included, the
> problem is the M::I AutoInstall process not quite managing to follow them
> right. That's certainly what I remember seeing.

Although this may have been the case in the past, in some cases the
problem now is that the dependencies are simply not listed.  For
example, Catalyst::Log:Log4Perl has a Makefile.PL with these requirements:
    PREREQ_PM => {
        Catalyst           => '5.30',
        'Log::Log4perl' => 0,
    },
But on Line 60 of Log4Perl.pm, it says "use Params::Validate;".

This is an unlisted requirement that causes the CPAN install to fail.
Is there a reason not to add this requirement?  If not, could someone
with SVN access just add this?  And perhaps for do the same for the
small handful of other unlisted requirements that have been noted?

> > ps.  Why are Bundles evil?
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~adamk/Task-1.01/lib/Task.pm

Thanks!  That's excellent information that I was unaware of.

--nate