[Catalyst] Wishlist for 2006!

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Fri Jan 6 13:31:38 CET 2006

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Krzysztof Krzyzaniak wrote:
> I think core modules should be in one package. This for sure helps
> install Catalyst (especially in distros with packages manager like rpm
> or deb).

Bah.  You have a core and extended package like vim or many other apps.
The extended package depends on the basic package so installing it will
get you everything.  This is the sort of thing that package managers excel
at.  Regardless of how many modules you pull in there's no reason you
couldn't make your own "fat catalyst" distro.  Having the "fatcat" just be
a bunch of dependancies on other packages instead of one big package would
be much less of a pain in the long term.  Again, the beauty of package
management.

We've been mulling doing our own rpm repo for CentOS4 and FC4 for various
things on CPAN.  We've still got a couple RH9/FC1 servers to kill, but
with those gone I'll be much more motivated.  I'd be just as happy
encouraging someone else's efforts so if someone wants to ask me rpm
questions I'm willing to ansswer them. :)

--
</chris>

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are
putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
            - Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)