[Catalyst] Wishlist for 2006!

Krzysztof Krzyzaniak eloy at kofeina.net
Fri Jan 6 13:56:12 CET 2006

Christopher Hicks wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Krzysztof Krzyzaniak wrote:
>
>>I think core modules should be in one package. This for sure helps
>>install Catalyst (especially in distros with packages manager like rpm
>>or deb).
>

> Bah.  You have a core and extended package like vim or many other apps.
> The extended package depends on the basic package so installing it will
> get you everything.  This is the sort of thing that package managers excel
> at.  Regardless of how many modules you pull in there's no reason you
> couldn't make your own "fat catalyst" distro.  Having the "fatcat" just be
> a bunch of dependancies on other packages instead of one big package would
> be much less of a pain in the long term.  Again, the beauty of package
> management.

For me creating deb packages is easy, it's almost automatic work (use
dh-make-perl, fix some control files). Problem is when I want to put
them into
main debian repository: it means fill Intend To Package bug, wait for
confirmation, upload to ftp-master, wait for adding to official queue
etc. When I have one package I am doing this once. When I have 8
packages (like Session, Auth & Stuffs) I have to do this 8 times

  eloy
--

       jak to dobrze, że są oceany - bez nich byłoby jeszcze smutniej