[Catalyst] Wishlist for 2006!

phaylon phaylon at dunkelheit.at
Mon Jan 9 18:11:41 CET 2006

Am Sonntag, den 08.01.2006, 02:55 +0100 schrieb A. Pagaltzis:

> Such components are never ever flexible enough to satisfy
> specific requirements that differ from their exact out-of-the-box
> setup. By the time such components were sufficiently
> parametrisable they would be insanely complex and difficult to
> configure.
>
> The better approach, and the one proven to work in practice, is
> to write libraries that take care of the plumbing required for
> such applications, so that writing custom apps gets then easier.
> Heck, Catalyst itself is proof of this principle at a lower
> level.

Well, this is Perl, there must be some other way ;) I think especially
HTML-Widget can give much benefits here. An inherited component could
provide an easy-to-use, easy-to-break-down-for-individual-stuff
interface, accessors for iterators and result objects, a slurp-in
default output for fast prototyping and small applications.. One would
basically just have to override or extend the parts he wants to.

I had such an idea for a longer time since I'm thinking about a CMS with
plug-some-compatible-resource-in functionality, but there's always the
problem of ENOTENOUGHTIME.

http://www.dunkelheit.at/
They wail and weep, the march of the sheep,
  As they go to the cross on the wall.
And it's ever so wrong to dare to be strong,      -- Sol Invictus
  So kneel to the cross on the wall.          "Kneel To The Cross"