[Catalyst] Re: Three DBIC Auth/Authz questions -- Sorted!

Dennis Daupert ddaupert at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 11 00:07:13 CET 2006

Yuval Kogman provided answers for these:

  PROBLEM 1: (ACCESS DENIED EXCEPTION)
  PROBLEM 2: (LOGOUT REMAINS)
  PROBLEM 3: (DISPLAY LOGIN USER ROLE)

  Yuval, I am ever so grateful for the fixes, and for your suggestions for code cleanup for things I hadn't even asked about.

  For first problem, I had my sub access_denied in wrong controller. You  had suspected problem 2 might be a race condition, but in fact, that  also turned out to be wrong controller placement, this time for sub  logout. In both cases, I had mistakenly put the offending subs in  MyApp2::Controller::Auth.

  This brings up a thought. I have been confused about where to place  subroutines at times; documentation often says, "And in a controller  somewhere...." More explicit directions in module docs regarding sub  placement would probably help a lot of folks.

  Yuval, if I might be allowed to praise your documentation, I find yours  to be among the clearest and most informative. I especially benefit  from the many code examples which flesh out things like method calls  and explanations of functions. In module docs that do not supply any  code examples I find myself wondering about syntax; I'm sure I'm not  the only one on that. Some people on this newsgroup have identified  improved documentation as their new year's wish, and I would like to  chime in on that.

  Anyhow, thanks again. I now have a working auth system.

  /dennis