[Catalyst] Current state of catalyst debs / rpms

Max Demian demian.max at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 23:38:59 CET 2006

Hey all,

There was a good discussion of this on the wishlist 2006 thread but I'm
curious as to how people are managing their catalyst install in a production
environment (especially one where using cpan or cpanp is verboten)

I currently have a new project for an intranet web app assigned to me and
have almost everyone convinced that catalyst is the way to go. The only
holdout is our sysadmin, who is not looking forward to having to manage /
update 50+ more perl modules (we are already very perl heavy here). Our
servers currently run on centOS and use yum but i'm also interested in deb /
gentoo solutions for personal use.

I currently use a little script using module::Depends and checkinstall or
dh_make_perl to make my debs but it's just hacked together and I have the
feeling that there must be a better way to handle these things (CPANPLUS
looked promising but did not work properly for me, am i missing something?).

I suppose this is fairly general to perl and not really specific to catalyst
but I assume that alot of catalyst folks have had to deal with this. How is
everyone else handling it?

cheers,

D.max