[Catalyst] JSON instead of YAML?

Matthew Lawrence matthew.lawrence at ehsbrann.com
Wed Jan 25 18:07:06 CET 2006

Chisel Wright wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 04:06:34PM +0000, Matthew Lawrence wrote:
>
>>I've read through the Spiffy and Class::Spiffy code a little this
>>afternoon, and I must say that I don't have any intention of using
>>anything that derives from either. Not even for a bet.
>

> Oh dear, is YAML/Spiffy really that bad then?

It seems so. The documentation for it makes me shudder.

http://cpanratings.perl.org/dist/Spiffy

> Is there an option to fixup Spiffy so that it's no longer crack-fuelled?

The main thing it does badly is interoperate with other modules. I dare
say that removing the "naughty" replacement of base::import would be a
very good start.

> What was wrong with YAML (0.39?)? I never had any problems with it.

Seems some bugs were cleared up amongst all the other changes:

http://search.cpan.org/src/INGY/YAML-0.53/Changes

> Why has something useful like YAML suddenly turned into such a hot
> potato?

Search me. *sigh*

Matt