[Catalyst] InstantCRUD issues

Kaare Rasmussen kaare at jasonic.dk
Sun Jul 2 11:41:01 CEST 2006

Hi

I have run into a couple of issues when using InstantCRUD for a project.

1. Edit/Add fields unaligned
When editing or adding a field, they are not aligned under each other, making
it both look ugly and harder to process. I found two things wrong with it.
The easy problem is that _build_widget doesn't insert a <br> tag for each
label/field pair. I think it should, at least it makes for an easier css.
The hard problem is that HTML::Widget incloses _both_ the label and the field
ind <label></label> tags. And it's even documented in HTML..Widgets POD. I
can't see why it should, but perhaps someone more familiar with the module
do?
I had a short chat with Zbigniew Lukasiak about this, who told that there's
supposed to be a HTML::Widget specific css around somewhere but he doesn't
like it because it doesn't allow for aligning error messages correct.

From anyones experience, can I make HTML::Widget do what I want in an
InstantCRUD environment, limit the <label></label> to the actual label of the
field?

2. Relationship dropdowns.
_build_widget tries to build a dropdown if it recognises a relationship. This
is a very nice idea, but as it doesn't know which column in the related table
to use, it just returns a stringified hash of it all. So this feature doesn't
seem finished.

I'm thinking that it could be solved easy if it is possible to add custom
properties to the table's class, so _build_widget could pick up the wanted
column from there. I dont' think DBIC can do that, though, at least I
couldn't find the possibility.

Can it be done this way or is there another elegant way?

--

Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic                 Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg      Email: kaare at jasonic.dk