[Catalyst] [Announce] iusethis.org goes into public beta.

Gavin Henry ghenry at perl.me.uk
Sun Jul 9 11:46:41 CEST 2006

<quote who="Marcus Ramberg">
> For the last six months I've been working on a pet project with my
> designer
> friend Arne.

It looks very cool and well designed.

> We call it iusethis, and it's a website for keeping track of
> the apps you use. It's for the mac for now, and it's based on Catalyst and
> DBIx::Class. Like any modern web app, it's got rss feeds, and a social
> network. The intention behind iusethis was to make a site where it was
> easier to find the good apps. We believe that the best people to advice
> you
> on what apps to use, are your friends. You can track what apps your
> friends
> are adopting through subscribing to new apps they adopt, and
> recommendations
> from app neighbours. We don't believe in browsing through 10 sucky apps to
> find the good one. We believe in our friends and fellow users, and that
> our
> approach is a lot smarter.
>
> We've used the opportunity to play with lots of ajax goodness to make the
> user experience smoother. We don't believe star rating is efficient, so we
> use more binary values. Mostly it's stuff like incrementing use count
> without page reload, system messages and setting switches.
>
> We also want you to effortlessly find the app you are looking  for. To
> that
> end, we made categorization based on tags, and we also feature a
> full-powered free text search engine based on the Xapian engine.
>
> Registration and use is free, and anyone can register applications, upload
> icons and screenshots, and register versions for their app. We also
> feature
> a system for claiming apps, so that app authors can maintain their own
> apps,
> if they wish. We also have a comment system with avatar support, and offer
> trackback linking to your blog for reviews and other articles related to
> apps. Right now, we are running in public beta, but are planning to remove
> that label as soon as everything checks out ok.
>
> We also have some plans for new features for this system, for instance, we
> want to add support for version checking your apps, so that you can be
> notified of updates only for apps you use. There is also a tool for
> extracting and uploading icons in the works. We'd also like to expose a
> public API, if we can figure out what people want.
>
> Feel free to try it out at http://osx.iusethis.com/ and give us feedback.
> We'd love to hear from you :)

I played with this a few weeks/months ago? Still great!

Is the source FYEO?

I would love to take a look at a big complete app like this and learn new
things.

Cheers,

Gavin.

--
Walking the road to enlightenment... I found a penguin and a camel on the
way..... Fancy a yourname at perl.me.uk? Just ask!!!