[Catalyst] cross-platform development setup

Nathan Kurz nate at verse.com
Wed Jul 12 04:19:19 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 10:19:05PM -0300, Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:
> On 7/11/06, Nathan Kurz <nate at verse.com> wrote:
> > Does this seem reasonable?
>
> I don't really get it.
>
> If you'll be running one test server instance per developer, why don't
> let them run it on their own machines? You wouldn't have half of the
> headache and it would even work better for everyone.
>
> Catalyst can run under Windows, Mac OS X or Linux perfectly fine.

That is the other approach, but I'm afraid it would be even more
headache.  I'm finding it fairly difficult to keep two Linux machines
in sync with regard to Catalyst versions and dependencies; trying to
keep Windows and Mac's in sync as well strikes me as majorly difficult.

The Windows and Mac folk are mostly going to be editing the templates,
Javascript, and CSS; and for the most part won't be modifying the Perl
code. Trying to keep Catalyst running on their systems strikes me as
worse than anything I can do almost exclusively from the Linux end.

Starting from a non-programmers Windows installation, what would I
need to do to get Catalyst running locally?  Is it simple enough that
I could get technically literate non-programmers to do so remotely?
And is there anything that wouldn't work about my proposed plan?

Nathan Kurz
nate at verse.com