[Catalyst] cross-platform development setup

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Jul 12 04:41:58 CEST 2006

On 12 Jul 2006, at 03:19, Nathan Kurz wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 10:19:05PM -0300, Nilson Santos Figueiredo
> Junior wrote:
>> On 7/11/06, Nathan Kurz <nate at verse.com> wrote:
>>> Does this seem reasonable?
>>
>> I don't really get it.
>>
>> If you'll be running one test server instance per developer, why
>> don't
>> let them run it on their own machines? You wouldn't have half of the
>> headache and it would even work better for everyone.
>>
>> Catalyst can run under Windows, Mac OS X or Linux perfectly fine.
>
> That is the other approach, but I'm afraid it would be even more
> headache.  I'm finding it fairly difficult to keep two Linux machines
> in sync with regard to Catalyst versions and dependencies; trying to
> keep Windows and Mac's in sync as well strikes me as majorly
> difficult.

It's not that bad, actually. CPAN's 'recompile' command is your
friend here.

We run development environments under several linux distros, windows,
cygwin and OS X here and it's do-able, although so long as your code
is reasonably robust having exact dependency versions the same bar on
the test, qa and deployment servers isn't that major an issue so long
as people are running reasonable recent versions of things.

Unless you didn't write enough tests, in which case you have a whole
nother problem :)

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for