[Catalyst] Catalyst + mod_fcgid startup problem

Renaud Drousies renaud at linuxaddicts.com
Thu Jul 13 13:49:09 CEST 2006

Hello,

I am running a catalyst site as a fastcgi app with apache2 and mod_fcgid.
mod_fcgid automatically terminates a fastcgi application when it has been
idle for X seconds (300 by default), hence when there is no visit on the
site for 5 minutes, there is no more instance of the catalyst application
running and it has to be restarted the next time someone hits the site.

My problem is that *SOMETIMES*, the first time it tries to restart, I
receive a 500 internal error with this message in my log:

[Thu Jul 13 13:24:38 2006] [error] [client 10.0.0.111] Premature end of
script headers: omninux_fastcgi.pl, referer: http://test.com/fr

If I check the process list after the first try, omninux_fastcgi.pl is
running and refreshing the page displays the site correctly.

Does anyone else have that kind of problem? I am not sure if this is fcgid
or catalyst related, seems to be a startup time problem but the log
doesn't say much..

Here is my apache configuration:

Apache 2.0.54, Catalyst 5.7000, mod_fcgid 1.08

----

<VirtualHost *>

        ServerName test.com
        SuexecUserGroup renaudwww renaudwww
        ErrorLog /www/customers/renaud/logs/test.com-error.log
        CustomLog /www/customers/renaud/logs/test.com-access.log combined

        <Directory /www/customers/renaud/sites/Omninux/script>
                Options +ExecCGI
                <Files *_fastcgi.pl>
                        SetHandler fcgid-script
                </Files>
        </Directory>

        Alias /
/www/customers/renaud/sites/Omninux/script/omninux_fastcgi.pl/

</VirtualHost>

----

Kind regards,
Renaud Drousies