[Catalyst] Catalyst + mod_fcgid startup problem

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Jul 13 15:47:07 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 01:49:09PM +0200, Renaud Drousies wrote:
> I am running a catalyst site as a fastcgi app with apache2 and mod_fcgid.
> mod_fcgid automatically terminates a fastcgi application when it has been
> idle for X seconds (300 by default), hence when there is no visit on the
> site for 5 minutes, there is no more instance of the catalyst application
> running and it has to be restarted the next time someone hits the site.
>
> My problem is that *SOMETIMES*, the first time it tries to restart, I
> receive a 500 internal error with this message in my log:

Yes, I was seeing something like this.  I was not running my app as a
Dynamic FCGI application, though.  I was running it as a Static FCGI
application,  and seeing this same problem when the server would be
restarted. But, sounds very similar to what you are seeing.

Since the application isn't forked each fcgi process compiles the
application and it was taking 45 seconds or so to restart the server.
My guess was that fcgi was just timing out.

Anyway, I upgraded the server and moved to mod_perl and all those
problems went away.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org