[Catalyst] authentication plugin advice

Daniel Westermann-Clark dwc at pobox.com
Thu Jul 27 01:25:08 CEST 2006

On 2006-07-26 15:50:41 -0700, Len Jaffe wrote:
> I have siteminder hooked into apache via a module, so any request to
> my server is authenticated by siteminder before the request can be
> processed.  Once authnicated to sitemeinder, the request is allowed
> to hit my cat app, and I get some http headers, one of which tells
> me the users ID.

I wrote a "passthrough" credential module for a similar situation,
which basically did:

1. Fetch the user from the default store
   (e.g. $c->get_user($username).

2. Tell Catalyst the user is authenticated
   ($c->set_authenticated($user_obj).

Then in my root controller's auto method, I called
$c->login($username), where $username was pulled from the environment.

This setup allowed me to manage users in my application and take
advantage of Catalyst's authentication and authorization plugins.

--
Daniel Westermann-Clark