[Catalyst] Validating RSS feeds

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Mon Jul 31 18:09:45 CEST 2006

Sorry about unloading so many questions all at once, but they've been
brewing in my mind for a while and I finally got around to joining the
list. :)  (Mailing lists are kind of a pain for me because I use qmail
without procmail.  So I have to create a new maildir for the list, setup
a qmail file, subscribe the jon-listname, then subscribe jon AT jrock.us
so I can post.  Last time I listen to DJB's advice on configuring a mail
server! :)

Anyway, I'd like my tests to validate generated RSS feeds, but
Test::Valid::XML chokes because there's no DTD in RSS 2.0.  Are there
any perl modules that know how to validate RSS 2.0?  (BTW the
combination of Test::Valid::XML and Test::HTML::Tidy are working great
for validating my XHTML.)

Speaking of which, can anything *generate* RSS 2.0?  It seems that
XML::RSS and XML::Feed are extremely limited in what they support.
(i.e. GUIDs that aren't URLs cause breakage, but are allowed by the
standard).  Right now a small TT template is working fine for me, but I
want to ensure that the feeds are correct at build time.

Regards, (and thanks as always)
Jonathan Rockway