[Catalyst] Validating RSS feeds

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Mon Jul 31 22:07:07 CEST 2006

* Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> [2006-07-31 21:55]:
> Oh, and your module looks like it's exactly what I need.
> Thanks!

Cool. :)

> It seems everyone wants to use URLs as unique ids, but URLs
> change all the time. Glad to see that you're using UUIDs. :)

Well it depends. You can store the initially minted URI, just
like you need to store the UUID. Technically, there is no actual
difference. But I prefer to suggest UUIDs because they remove any
temptation to derive them from other properties of the resource
or to interpret them as something other than an opaque token.

> (BTW, is there a standard way to look up a UUID on someone's
> site? I don't expose this functionality in my software right
> now, but it's used internally and could be exposed if useful to
> others.)

No. The lack of such a mechanism for the _general_ case is the
entire point of UUIDs. :-) They are opaque names, not addresses.
Of course, if you want to provide a custom lookup mechanism for
your UUIDs, that’s your prerogative.

Regards,