[Catalyst] Do you dojo?

Toby Corkindale toby at ymogen.net
Fri Jun 2 12:37:37 CEST 2006

Shawn Ferris wrote:
> I've been pluggin away at this stuff for the last few weeks.. I would agree, the documentation is lacking.. fortunately, they do have the examples. (http://dojotoolkit.org/examples)
>
> It's been quite the learning curve for me.. By trade I'm a Database engineer.. I've done minimal html, no javascript and never heard of Catalyst and/or Ajax before 3-4 weeks ago.. (plenty of perl though) And so far.. I'm making pretty good head way on this stuff. I'm currently using the following widgets with success: (under catalyst of course)
>
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.AccordionContainer");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.Button2");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.Checkbox");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.ContentPane");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.Dialog");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.DropdownDatePicker");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.Editor");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.LayoutContainer");
>        dojo.require("dojo.widget.SplitContainer");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.TabContainer");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.Tree");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.Tooltip");
>       dojo.require("dojo.widget.validate");
>       dojo.require("dojo.crypto.SHA256");
>
> As well as dojo.io.bind to submit my forms to the database.. But.. It's been a struggle.. However.. if I can do it.. ANYONE can do it. 8D There is "just" enough info out there .. you just gotta find it. If it's the widgets you are after.. those are really just html tags.. there's very little mystery there. <div dojoType='dropdowndatepicker' ... >, <textarea class='dojo-Editor' ... >

The widgets haven't proved too hard to grok.. The bit that's proving
difficult now is the I/O with the Catalyst backend.

I've had a peer at Catalyst::View::JSON now, and
http://developer.yahoo.net/common/json.html and see that's not too complex.

But how do I, for example, implement an auto-completing select list?
(a-la Prototype)

The example in Dojo just loads a URL, but doesn't seem to pass the
text-so-far to it. How do you get it to do that?

It's these connections between different parts of the toolkit that I
think I'm still stuck on understanding..

Thanks :)
Toby