[Catalyst] Bring C::P::Authentication::LDAP up to current standards

Drew Taylor taylor.andrew.j at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 21:09:31 CEST 2006

On 6/5/06, Adam Jacob <adam at stalecoffee.org> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Drew Taylor wrote:
> > I'm starting on a new project at $work and I wanted to try LDAP
> > authentication against Active Directory. After a bit of exploring
> > the LDAP tree with JXplorer I figured out the right dn/cn/etc to do
> > my authentication (we have an odd tree apparently). Authentication
> > now works (with a user_prepend patch)! BUT C::P::A::LDAP is not
> > compliant with the new and improved C::P::Authentication. What
> > would be involved in bringing it up to speed? I could probably do
> > it at $work and contribute the results back if I ask nicely. I
> > suspect it will mostly be using $c->user instead of $c->request->
> > {user}.
> >
> > I've been using catalyst for a while now, but have not done any
> > plugin hacking before.
>
> You want to use Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication::Store::LDAP.
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~holoway/Catalyst-Plugin-Authentication-Store-
> LDAP-0.04/
>
> It works with the new Authentication/Authorization modules, and
> should be flexible enough to do what you need.  If it's not, I'm the
> maintainer, so feel free to send patches to the list. (or to me
> privately)

Thanks Adam. I found your module independently about 15 minutes ago and am
working on configuring it for our Active Directory tree. Luckily
C::P::A::LDAP's default config is for AD (otherwise I probably would have
been hoplessly lost) so I might be able to contribute back a good AD config
example. For example, the uid field in our tree is completely unused -
uid==samaccountname for AD.

I'm sure I'll have feedback for you. :-)

Thanks,
Drew
Drew Taylor                 *  Web development & consulting
Email: drew at drewtaylor.com  *  Site implementation & hosting
Web  : www.drewtaylor.com   *  perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres