[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 19:11:32 CEST 2006

On 6/9/06, Thomas Nagel <me at thomasnagel.com> wrote:
> Maybe a better error reporting may improve the condition but YAML is not
> that easy for someone who is used to edit Apache- and ini-style
> configuration on a daily basis ...

It's not supposed to look familiar to people used to other formats.
It's just like Perl or Python or Ruby. They're not languages supposed
to look familiar to traditional languages.

Anyway, I'm starting to think that the best way to handle this issue
would be to make ConfigLoader smart enough to load anything you throw
at it, maybe with some filename/extension conventions. So, if it finds
"myapp.yml" that's what it loads, the same for "myapp.xml",
"myapp.ini", and so on.

I just think I'd like to keep using YAML in a hassle-free way, but
people who prefer other formats should be able to achieve it too.
Instead of trying to define a new default format, I think it would be
saner to follow the usual "Catalyst way of thinkinh" and make it
easier to use whatever you want.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.