[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Thomas Nagel me at thomasnagel.com
Fri Jun 9 18:59:25 CEST 2006

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com schrieb:
> Ok I will bite,  I fail to see how anyone that has used perl for any period
> of time does not know how to parse and write YAML.

Parsing is not the problem but writing is.

Example I came accross:

Application administrators changed a couple of setting in a YAML file.
Afterwards the following error occurred:

YAML Error: Expected separator '---'
   Code: YAML_PARSE_ERR_NO_SEPARATOR
   Line: 5
   Document: 2
 at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8/YAML.pm line

But the problem actually was:

  INCLUDE_PATH:
    - tt2/content
    -tt2/lib
    ^^^

Maybe a better error reporting may improve the condition but YAML is not
that easy for someone who is used to edit Apache- and ini-style
configuration on a daily basis ...

-Thomas