[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Alan Humphrey alan.humphrey at comcast.net
Fri Jun 9 19:28:43 CEST 2006

> Ok I will bite,  I fail to see how anyone that has used perl for any
period
> of time does not know how to parse and write YAML. It was designed to be
> human readable for non coders -- so even non perl coders should be able to
> gain the concept quickly (without needed to understand how the data is
> stashed
> when it is loaded.  Any other config format we would use would be hard
> pressed
> to match YAML for those two points.
>
> Is YAML not as ubiquitous in the perl community as I think it is?

But the people who have to maintain the configuration files aren't
necessarily going to be coders (of perl or any other language).

Andrew

--

So isn't the issue really *who* is using the config files?  If the people
maintaining the files aren't coders* or sys admins capable of some scripting

Editing a config file is quick and easy and rarely done, but the developer
still needs to keep the audience in mind.

- Alan

* Note I'm not arguing that <your config tool of choice> is easy or hard.
Just that coders have different needs than end users.