[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Brian Cassidy brian.cassidy at nald.ca
Fri Jun 9 19:56:31 CEST 2006

Nislon,

...Another satisfied customer. :)

> But now I really don't get what's the point of this "default format"
> discussion if ConfigLoader doesn't have only one default format. What
> exactly will that mean?

The current situation is this:

ConfigLoader and ConfigLoader::YAML are bundled in core so that the
catalyst.pl-generated application, which uses a YAML config, will work.

The near future with 5.70:

Catalyst-Devel is needed to generate an application with catalyst.pl. One of
Catalyst-Devel's prerequisites is ConfigLoader. Since it's not bundled into
the distro, we'll have the opportunity to use any of its available plugins
as the default loader format.

So, we don't /have/ to stay with YAML as a default anymore. However, we
/will/ need a default.

Perhaps we leave YAML as the default, but add a command-line option to
specify a config file format? Every format ConfigLoader supports can be
serialized (the default, sample config is rather trivial to serialize anyway
:).

Catalyst.pl MyApp --config-type Config::General

*shrug*

-Brian