[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Jess Robinson castaway at desert-island.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 10 16:58:42 CEST 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Matt S Trout wrote:

> I love YAML as a serialisation format for data transfer, but so far as stuff
> like config files that are designed for human write / machine read, I
> personally think it sucks. Massively.
>
> And for hysterical raisins it's currently our default config file formats, and
> I see users running into trouble getting their myapp.yml to parse right all
> the flipping time. So, I'm wondering if this is just me being a YAML-hating
> heretic or if other people are of the same opinion.
>
> A few (IMO) better options -
>
> Config::General -
> JSON -
> INI-style -

I've avoided actually using YAML so far, and finding out that its
whitespace sensitive just makes me go "yuck" even more. (The module just
had too many problems for me to bother looking at it before) .. I chose
XML for mine, because all there is to set up is the DSN, so it's a 3-linie
file.

JSON is just as bad as YAML for configurations IMO.

That leaves me with either Config::General, which seems ok, INI,  which
probably needs contortions to define some structures, and XML, which
despite themselves, many people know.

I feel a Catalyst::Plugin::Config::Admin or some such coming on.. I agree
with whomever said that *real* end users should get a nice webby frontend
with admin login.

Jess