[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Kiki kiki at bsdro.org
Sun Jun 11 12:40:26 CEST 2006

John Napiorkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting this feeling this debate is winding down
> with the end of the weekend, but just some last two
> cents; I would seriously prefer anything that is not
> reliant on spaces, tabs or other semi-invisible
> characters for syntax purposes.
Well it's either that or tag clutter à la XML ... or a
JSON/Data::Dumper-like format which nobody seems to like as far. It's
true, whitespace can be a PITA if you're not aware of it being
significant. OTOH, verbose syntax elements can also be annoying, both
when reading and when writing (well, there's autocompletion, true)
> Yes, you can set your
> text editor to help smooth over this, but then I end
> up setting up my editor differently for YAML verses
> what I do for code.

Huh? So you don't indent your code? Or you absolutely must use tabs in
your code? Well, either way, a serious editor can have different
formatting configurations depending on filetype.
> Also having whitespace characters used this way seems
> very anti-perl.  I know YAML was developed by perl
> programmers first, but it really feels unnatural to
> me.  Reminds me of that summer where I had to write
> everything in python :)

Well, the "perl way" would be Data::Dumper + eval in a Safe compartment.
It's indent insensitive, doesn't look like XML (which is my pet peeve
regarding C::G) and instantly readable/writable if you know Perl.

Kiki