[Catalyst] questions

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 07:49:23 CEST 2006

Hi,

I've only been using Catalyst since Feb. but I think
some of the trends I've noticed have been:

-- DBIx::Class becoming a defacto ORM standard.
-- More discussion of HTML::Widget for form input and
validation, and discussion of Dojo as possible a good
Javascript toolkit to use.  I think in the future
we'll see html::Widget and dojo in more catalyst
applications.  At least in mine :)

I think the stuff in "Task::Catalyst" is still
considered core modules to use and build applications.
 Most people seem to prefer template toolkit for
templating, for example.

Some of the plugins are not getting as much play as
before, such as FillInForm, since they have
performance and security implications.

I think Catalyst is a lot like Perl itself, very open
but after a time certain best practices are starting
to emerge based on the community interaction.  So
there is still plenty of time for you to have an
impact.

You should try to follow what's going on in the
documentation for the next release, since I'm getting
the feeling there will be a lot of documentation
related updates.

I also think you might get more responses here if you
ask more detailed techy questions about your
application and goals.  Is there something in
particular that is worrying you?  When I first jumped
into Catalyst I also had a feeling people where
talking about things several jumps ahead of what I was
doing.  I know also there is supposed to be a bunch of
Catalyst related developer blogs around, and I think
you could probably search for that thread in this
list.  That might also help you.

good luck -john

--- Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com>