[Catalyst] development setup

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 03:20:39 CEST 2006

On 6/23/06, Carl Johnstone <catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk> wrote:
> > Do you mean that you have a shared apache installation under which every
> > developer runs his/her own code ?
>
> Yes.

I think that if you're really willing to maintain this development
setup then Catalyst won't be a good choice.

I find this sort of setup rather amusing. I actually work at a place
where most of the developers don't even run Perl code on their own
machines. Most of them don't even have Perl installed on their Windows
machines. Everything is tested at the development server. Granted,
none of those do anything remotely related to Catalyst development.

I don't really know if your environment is as extreme as what I
described (it seems to be a little better since, apparently, you've
got one environment per developer which is automagically set up
through network shares), but as far as I can see Catalyst is a
framework geared towards a different development mindset. Developers
are expected to run code on their own machines and to keep everything
is sync using SVN (or whatever makes it easy to do it). The thing you
mentioned about having to update 12 desktops is irrelevant when
updating means each developer typing "svn up", IMHO.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.