[Catalyst] PPM vs CPAN

Hugh Lampert hlampert at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 28 19:09:13 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:

> Once you've got CPAN configured and nmake and a gcc installed,
>
> http://shadowcatsystems.co.uk/static/cat-install
>
> will install Catalyst itself plus deps hands-off via CPAN (with a
> little help from ppm on windows)

Err, yes... gcc... seems to be a bit of a problem.  Hate to impose on
the members of the list, but can anyone point me in the direction of a
good  win32 binary GCC package that doesn't require Cygwin or other
"environments"?  the CPAN module was kind enough to download and install
NMAKE from Microsoft itself (that  was nice), when I upgraded it.

>> BTW, Why is it Task::Catalyst and not Bundle::Catalyst? I want to
>> install this but it does not run, getting an NMAKE fatal error U1077,
>> errors looking for GPG, etc.  This is why I like the PPM packages...
>> I'm assuming that anything that fails to make does not get installed
>> in the perl lib tree, correct?
>
> See http://search.cpan.org/~adamk/Task-1.01/lib/Task.pm for an
> explanation.

Thanks, that was very informative! (well beyond my level, but still very
informative).

-- Hugh