[Catalyst] PPM vs CPAN

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed Jun 28 19:32:24 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 01:09:13PM -0400, Hugh Lampert wrote:
> Err, yes... gcc... seems to be a bit of a problem.  Hate to impose on
> the members of the list, but can anyone point me in the direction of a
> good  win32 binary GCC package that doesn't require Cygwin or other
> "environments"?

Depends how strictly we interpret your question. If you can handle
having a runtime DLL, you should be able to install gcc and binutils
without needing a full Cygwin/UWIN/MinGW32 environment.

If you want something fully native, you'll still not have anything
providing (most of) the POSIX function set just using MS' libraries,
AFAIK.

http://www.mingw.org/x86-win32-ports.shtml
Your best bet will be to install something from that list, I guess.

Perhaps somebody should write a gcc-compatible C compiler in Perl.

/joel