[Catalyst] PPM vs CPAN

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Jun 28 19:36:35 CEST 2006

Hugh Lampert wrote:
> Matt S Trout wrote:
>> Once you've got CPAN configured and nmake and a gcc installed,
>>
>> http://shadowcatsystems.co.uk/static/cat-install
>>
>> will install Catalyst itself plus deps hands-off via CPAN (with a
>> little help from ppm on windows)
>>
> Err, yes... gcc... seems to be a bit of a problem.  Hate to impose on
> the members of the list, but can anyone point me in the direction of a
> good  win32 binary GCC package that doesn't require Cygwin or other
> "environments"?  the CPAN module was kind enough to download and install
> NMAKE from Microsoft itself (that  was nice), when I upgraded it.

 From the top of that script -

# This is the Shadowcat Catalyst installer. Its purpose is to make it easier
# and quicker to get started with Catalyst development. In order to use it,
# make sure you have perl 5.8.1+, a make and a compiler, (nmake and dev-c++
# are good on windows), a configured CPAN.pm and Module::Build installed.