[Catalyst] [announce] Catalyst 5.70 developer release.

Michele Beltrame mb at italpro.net
Thu Jun 29 12:47:59 CEST 2006

Hello Matt!

> 5.70_01 IS A DEV RELEASE. So you don't want to be packaging it anyway.

Non really (with Gentoo, at least). I package the DEV releases of
Catalyst and DBIx::Class with the ~arch keyword, so that a user doesn't
get the automatic upgrade to those versions unless he explicitly
configures /etc/package.keywords for that.

I think packages for DEV releases are useful, because who wants to test
them can do that while keeping his system clean by still using the
package manager. Moreover, creating a Gentoo ebuild requires 30 seconds
or so. ;-) However, it really depends on how the package system works:
with the "~arch" thing provided by Gentoo package system this is OK, but
I don't know much about how it works with dpkg, rpm, and other package
managers.

Version numbers are a bit of a problem (not great, though) when
packaging development releases. I found out that - with Gentoo Portage -
the best  versioning system is the one used by DBIx::Class DEV releases
(0.x999_nn, which I translate to 0.x999.nn for ebuilds).

Michele.

--
Michele Beltrame
http://www.varlogarthas.net/