[Catalyst] sane migration to catalyst

Peter Edwards peterdragon at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 14 18:29:44 CET 2006

Hi D, we looked at the same migration issues last week for our app and I
would echo what Stuart said and suggest

- write a new version of your application one part at a time, using only
Catalyst features and porting over or generalising any app-specific
subroutine libraries

- change the old app's authentication and session store to
Session::Store::FastMmap and Authentication::Store::DBIC (or make them
compatible to some extent) so its login sessions can co-exist with the new
app

- run a mix of old and new screens side by side (changing the link URLs for
screens as they are converted)

The users don't need to know which system is serving which screen and you
can have screens on both sides sharing database tables.

In fact a client hooked up the OTRS issue tracking system to our app quite
successfully using this kind of approach, with a few tweaks on both sides to
look up data from each other's databases and then putting in some hyperlinks
between screens.

Regards, Peter

  _____