[Catalyst] A note on AS Perl 5.8.8 install problems withCatalyst and other modules

Emanuele Zeppieri ema_zep at libero.it
Wed Mar 15 21:05:52 CET 2006

Well, Makefile.PL *does* load the *local* inc::Module::Install, if
installed on the host, so I thought MI could do something /intelligent/
(ie use the installed MI if newer than the bundled one, and a bunch of
other possible things).
But now, looking at the inc::Module::Install source code, I see that it
basically only loads in turn ./inc/Module/Install.pm (ie the bundled
one).

So you are right, and I'm sorry for the useless suggestion (but the
problem was exactly that).
If not other, I've just verified that copying the new MI tree (ver.
0.61) into the Catalyst's distro inc dir solves the problem, so it's an
MI bug, solved in ver. 0.61, as diagnosed (and Catalyst needs to be
repackaged, you're right ;-)
Well, replacing the Catalyst's inc dir with the new MI could also be
another (more convoluted) temporary workaround, besides the debug mode
suggested by Thomas L. Shinnick.

Cheers,
Emanuele.