[Catalyst] CDBI vs DBIx

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 13:22:43 CET 2006

On 3/16/06, Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior <acid06 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But you can get joins with Class::DBI::Sweet.
>
> Anyway, I'm not exactly aware of what are all the benefits of
> switching to DBIx::Class. I did it mainly for two reasons: it's
> somehow faster than Class::DBI::Sweet and it is the preferred Catalyst
> ORM.
>
> But I'd also be glad if all DBIx::Class advantages against
> Class::DBI::Sweet were enumerated, just for the sake of knowing it.

I agree that would be interesting information.  I'm aware that
DBIx::Class is the preferred solution and I know folks have been hard
at work at making it a better implementation of Perl-based ORM than
Class::DBI, but I haven't been able to find any specifics.  I have
been trying to figure it out on my own, but it has been slow going.

It would be great to increase the docs on DBIx::Class.  I know Carl
Franks just did an update to the Catalyst core docs (available in SVN
and/or daily link in wiki), and that is a great first step.  But as
someone fairly new to doing ORM database stuff in Perl vs Java, I
found the extra documentation available on Class::DBI to be very
helpful.  I would like to be able to jump in and contribute to the
DBIx::Class docs once I'm up to speed, :-)  but I have to get there
first.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work.