[Catalyst] CDBI vs DBIx

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun Mar 19 15:32:03 CET 2006

hkclark at gmail.com wrote:
> On 3/17/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
>> - fork-safe out of the box (and will be thread-safe out of the box too, in the
>> next release)
>>
>> - commercially supported by us, if you need/want that
>>
>> - oh, yes, and faster. but I've always found being kind to the database is
>> more important than being kind to the perl interpreter for any substantial
>> system, which is where the join and prefetch stuff comes in
>
> Excellent info, Matt.  Thank you very much.
>
> Also, I should also add a clarification to my prior email.  Based on
> this thread and Carl Franks recent documentation updates, I finally
> got around to playing with DBIx::Class.  I have been reading through
> the POD for DBIx::Class and it's very good:
>
> http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/search?query=DBIx%3A%3AClass&mode=dist
>
> I'm still fairly early in my exploration, but I have been really
> impressed with both the documentation *and* the functionality of
> DBIx::Class.  Hats off to Matt!

Hats off to @dbic-devel as well then, the vast vast majority of the
documentation has been written by contributors - I'm responsible for some of
the more terse and impenetrable method synopses and very little else :)

> For others who have been holding off on checking it out, I would
> humbly recommend that you "go for it."

Right. 0.05 was ready to go and 0.06 adds a few extra niceties (like automatic
selection of the appropriate method for auto-PKs for your database)