[Catalyst] Obtaining better application speed during development

Andreas Marienborg omega at palle.net
Mon Mar 20 10:20:07 CET 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Michele Beltrame wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I use Catalyst with mod_fastcgi (when deploying) and with normal CGI
> (when developing).
>
> Execution of applications is getting however pretty slow even when
> developing, when solutions such as mod_fastcgi don't help as a
> reload of
> the application is needed (of course) after modifications to the code.
>
> What I am wondering is if a solution a-la-PHP exists, or does make
> sense
> at all: that is, the perl interpreter stays resident but the
> application
> doesn't. This would probably give limited benefits, but maybe
> limited is
> better than nothing (PHP is faster than plain CGI in almost all
> situations).
>
> Oh well, I guess I should be happy anyway that I'm not using Java,
> or I
> should even compile the code before running it. ;-)

I think the closest you can get would be the myapp_server.pl server
with -r, which will restart the server for you when needed, thus
speeding up developing templates, javascript and the like (compared
to cgi atleast), as it will stay persistent for as many connections
as possible (static content etc).

other than that, try to have a good testsuite perhaps, so you can
just run that to check before restarting/reloading.

come to think of it, thats another benefit of _server.pl -r, it shows
you compile-time errors before restarting, and as such, lets you fix
as much as possible before restarting itself. I must say the issue is
mostly non-existant for me when I use the internal server.

andreas